Statement on June 2013 donation drive
The Carl Brandon Society steering committee has posted a statement regarding the spontaneous donation drive of June 13 and 14, 2013 that raised over $16,000 for the Carl Brandon Society, the Butler Memorial Scholarship, and Con or Bust.
Bloodchildren: Stories by the
Octavia E. Butler Scholars
Bloodchildren: Stories by the Octavia E. Butler Scholars is available for purchase until June 22, 2013, Octavia E. Butler's birthday. Proceeds from the sale of this e-book benefit the Octavia E. Butler Memorial Scholarship. More details on the Bloodchildren anthology page. The Carl Brandon Society thanks Arisia 2013 for hosting the book's release party.
Carl Brandon Awards
Congratulations to the winners of the 2010 Carl Brandon Award: Karen Lord won the Carl Brandon Parallax Award for an outstanding work of speculative fiction by a writer of color. Nnedi Okorafor won the Carl Brandon Kindred Award for an oustanding work of speculative fiction dealing with race and ethnicity. The awards were presented at Worldcon.
Thanks to Diversicon for hosting the awards anoucement on August 3, 2012. View more details including the honors list and nominate 2012 works for Carl Brandon Awards on the awards page.
The mission of the Carl Brandon Society is to increase racial and ethnic diversity in the production of and audience for speculative fiction.
We envision a world in which speculative fiction, about complex and diverse cultures from writers of all backgrounds, is used to understand the present and model possible futures; and where people of color are full citizens in the community of imagination and progress.
- Fantasizing for its own sake, and as an agent of social innovation
- Literature as a groundspring for social change
- Creative Innovation in the field of speculative fiction
- Inclusive Definitions of both genre and audiences
- A culture of Listening to people of all abilities, genders, and backgrounds, in all fields of endeavor
- National and international community-building around areas of interest
- About Us | Learn more about the Carl Brandon Society including the story behind our name, our goals and mission.
- Blog | Takes you to the Carl Brandon Society blog. This will open a new window.
- Wiki | Explore and contribute information about people of color in SF with the Carl Brandon Society wiki
- Awards | Learn more about the Carl Brandon Society Awards.
- Memberships | Join the Carl Brandon Society or make a donation.
- Resources | Reading lists, press releases, and more.
- Con or Bust | Financial support for people of color to attend SF conventions.
- The Octavia E. Butler Memorial Scholarship
Contact us via email